Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Case of the Wet Towels

I have attended "New Mommy Groups" and have met new moms and their babies as well as received good advice from the nurses there about safety, nutrition, development etc... but what about the really important issues like;


The Case of the Wet Towels:

Finally baby is napping. I get to take that long awaited shower. Ah! the privacy, the hot, steaming water and fresh soap smell! What bliss! And as I bring a towel to my face, Bam! The stink of rotten, moldy bacteria fills my nose. All the towels are still damp and moldy.

Solution:
  1. Wipe myself down with a moldy, damp towel, effectively canceling out all the bliss of the shower.
  2. Wipe myself down with the small, dry, dirty hand towel.
  3. Silently blame beloved husband for not putting the towels in the dryer which seems to be the only way to prevent this moldy issue.
No one tells you at the new mommy group why this becomes such a big issue, why I want to cry over these wet towels, why talking to my beloved husband about it makes it seems like a much bigger deal than it should be. Like, come on, wet towels?  
Not the end of the world, right? But it feels like it is!

My good friend Carolina, who has 3 lovely daughters, listened to my plea, and reassured me that I wasn't crazy for crying about wet towels and that as a new mom, sometimes things like that can really put a damper (no pun intended) on your day. And it's okay to cry over it! And it's okay to lose your cool!

So lessons learned:
  1. When you need advice don't ask the newbies, ask those with experience! Thanks Carolina for making me laugh about it all!
  2. When you need dry towels, think of solution that works and just ask again nicely. Thanks, my beloved husband, for being on board with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment