Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Family Month of May

I haven't posted at all this month, mainly because it's been a month of family visits. Some came to stay and I traveled back east to see some others. Mostly family I rarely see because of the distances and the price of air tickets. I do have to say though that a trip to Quebec, even with sitting in a traffic jam on a dilapidated overpass  in downtown Montreal is a breeze compared to the 24 hr, delirium inducing trip to Rio de Janeiro. Canada is just so darn big, and Brazil so darn far. I envy the folks in Europe who with such civility ride a cozy train across a picturesque country side while reading the paper and sipping on a spritzer, while us Canadians have to shlep our carefully weighted carry-on and sit behind a screaming child while picking apart a soggy, overpriced sandwich.

Canadian Airlines should offer a "buy 3 get one free" promotion for family members sharing the same last name and traveling domestically. That way we can all reunite more often and discover our own country. I've never been to PEI, the Yukon, Nunavut or the Northwest Territories. Most of the others were a drive though. One of my uncles has a family pool going for a lottery, and if we win, the money would be used to have a giant family reunion. I miss them, my family. I feel sad that I'm a long-distance aunt and sister-in-law.

My East Coast Brother, Julien




No comments:

Post a Comment