Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Learn How to Dance

Last Saturday, I attended my Zumba instructor's, Maggie Lima, "Learn How to Dance" class. It was great. What's nice about it is that it's not a specific dance like salsa or samba. She teaches how to move your body more consciously, find the music's tempo and actually dance rather than just going through the movement. I've taken a few dances classes in the past, salsa, hip hop, reggaeton, etc.. and it's a lot of fun too, but sometimes the teachers do a certain movement that I couldn't replicate no matter how hard I concentrated. I think it was partly because I wasn't just "feeling" it and also because I wasn't able to connect my brain to a certain body part. For example: I can do the shoulder shimmy, (shaking you shoulders quickly from front to back alternatively) but if I try to do it with my legs going, forget it! I look like I'm having an epileptic seizure. So, anyways, not that I've mastered this yet, but Maggie showed us some tips on how to get the right muscles to get going. If anyone reading this is interested, check out her website: www.magdalenalima.com

No comments:

Post a Comment