Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wanna Wear a Cape?

Wearing a cape instantly gives you an air of mystery with a touch of weirdness. When caped people walk by, we subtly do a double take and ask ourselves, why is this person wearing a cape? Hopefully they're in a marching band, or part of a historical reenactment because wearing a cape for no reason is weird, right?

But isn't it cool too? An air of mystery with a touch of weirdness? You're might be wondering why I'm going on about this cape thing? I was just thinking about my inner voice. You know, the part of you that is intact, the way you were as a child. That voice that quietly yet relentlessly reminds you to be authentic when you find yourself being pulled by fears of failure and judgement. There are many ways to hear this little voice, some meditate, pray, journal or abandon themselves to their hobby or passion, but I think that as long as you can be silent for a moment, you can hear it.

When my son naps the house is quiet and I can hear mine asking me to do more art, more drawing, more writing. It wants more laughter, more quirkiness, more silliness, more color and more fun. It calls for simplicity but also for folly. So that's how the cape came to mind. I had a friend in university who wore a dark green, floor length, wool cape. She painted her living room coral pink with huge green palm trees. By the window she had a huge leopard print lounge chair and stacks of books scattered all around. You could tell that she listened to her inner voice and acted on it's desires. Because of this, she was also surrounded by interesting people; inventors, artists, perfumers, writers and designers. I loved hanging out at her place.

It seems we, just as most species on earth seem to be biologically wired to blend in and bond to others to survive and that probably explains why we stop wearing our batman pajamas to school around grade 1. We learn quickly that the weird kids have a hard time making friends and we leave our costumes at home. Over time, because of this, we lose our ability to be who we truly are (which explains why so many of us wear Lululemon yoga uniforms and insist on granite countertops.)

If I am truly honest with myself, I can admit that I am jealous of that friend with the cape, or that man with the tattooed torso, or that neighbor with the Harley, or that kid in pajamas and rubber boots. Because they are listening to their inner voice and acting on it. What could I do today to actualize my inner voice?

a quiet moment on the sofa

No comments:

Post a Comment