Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Good Mail via Snail Mail

I've been writing by hand this month. I don't know how this came about exactly, but I think it started when I decided to fill my husband's work mailbox with good mail. And then, I decided that my faraway good friend, who was not having the best time, also needed some mail. I collected "treasures" that could be written on and mailed; chopsticks, stickers, postcards, menus, cartoons, recipes and even candy.  As I was writing, I also became more and more aware of different pens and how they write. At first, I rummaged in my households' pencil holders, but unsatisfied with most pens we had, I finally "permanently adopted" my husband's fancy work pen.

Think of all the time we spend typing and texting. We hardly even sign our names anymore or write the date on things. It's not only the art of letter writing that has disappeared, but also the way we write with a pen or a pencil. Our fingers cramp. I noticed the other day when I was writing with a pencil that I instantly felt like a kid again. I was reminded that it's hard to keep the lines straight when the paper is blank and that I haven't licked a stamp in forever, but still remember that slightly sweet glue taste.

Sending and receiving a letter feels the same as giving or receiving a gift, doesn't it? When we open the mail box, absentmindedly flipping through the bills and flyers, and we discover some good mail, it's like a mini Christmas morning, isn't it?  We pay attention to the stamp, the envelope, and the paper. We recognize the handwriting and we miss that person suddenly. We might save reading that letter for a quieter time in our day when we can relax and read it uninterrupted. Good mail is more than just words; a postcard is like a flying kiss and a four page letter is like a long hug.

It's been a rediscovery for me. I decided to read more about people who write by hand, and visited a shop near my house that lets you type a letter on their vintage typewriters; it was super fun and I'll probably make it habit to go regularly. While I was there, I treated myself to some nice stationery and free tea and cookies. I know that letter writing is not as easy as sending an email or texting on your phone, but it's more fun! Here are some tips I found useful to get back in the handwriting groove:

  • Next time you visit the post office, buy a book of stamps and keep them in your wallet along with the addresses of a handful of people you want to write to regularly. 
  • Have fun selecting the stamps and don't be afraid to ask the clerk to show you what else is in the stamp drawer; I once had a boyfriend who was very particular about using "just the right stamp" for the right person, and it really did add a "je-ne-sais-quoi" to his letters. 
  • Start small. A post card, a thank you card, or a comic cut out of the paper. Be imaginative about what constitutes a letter, usually if it's about the thickness of a Ryvita cracker it's good to go with a regular stamp.
  • Write to different people; a thank you note to your local coffee shop owners who brew that perfect cup, an idea or suggestion to your mayor, or a letter of encouragement to yourself.
  • Don't expect anything in return. Just anticipate in your mind, the surprised look on your loved one's face when they open their mailbox.
Hooray for snail mail!
Renew your Canada Post patronage!
Send some love!
The view from my letter writing spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment