Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

There's a lot on my mind these days. It's October, a very busy month for our family, many birthdays, Thanksgiving, my father-in-law visiting for a few weeks, travels, and all the household activities related to the changing seasons. My head is running, the washing machine is spinning, the new bed is coming; it's a whirlwind. That is why I enjoy writing for a while, to settle my mind, let thoughts come and go as the sun streams through the window highlighting my son's fingerprints. It's nice to put my brain in neutral for a bit.

I love fall, don't you? Hasn't the weather been glorious? Sunny and crisp, I feel like the air smells and feels like apples. Thanksgiving is this weekend and while most of us are happily anticipating seeing friends and family, some of us are stressing out over recipes and the lack the wine glasses. My mother called and mentioned it might be nice to have Thanksgiving dinner at our place this year... hint... hint... and for two seconds I panicked. Only two seconds. I'm grateful to have a family here to celebrate, and for my father-in-law who has come all the way from Brazil to see his grandson. 

So let me take another look at this seemingly "busy" month. We get to celebrate the birth of 3 wonderful people and eat cake 3 times. We get an extra pair of hands to cook a turkey, put together a bed, and play with the boy. We finally get to take a family vacation and even though we haven't planned it at all yet, it's bound to be an adventure. There's pumpkins to be picked, leaves to be kicked, and local apples to eat. We can appreciate candle light again, now that the sun settles down earlier and wear cozy sweaters. All this is the 'thanks' in Thanksgiving.

fall flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment