Saturday, February 16, 2013

Eavesdropping on a First Date?

The kid and I decide on avocado rolls and udon, and arrive just on time for the last unoccupied table in the restaurant. It's crowded with a nice happy Friday night vibe, so were glad to squeeze in, rubbing my butt on the edge of my neighbor's table as I try to elegantly get by without knocking over their cutlery. The kid and I sit side by side on a booth looking out on the other patrons and get busy creating toy scenes while we wait for a menu. My thigh is practically touching the lady next to me, and it's almost impossible not to eavesdrop. Two women on our left sit in total silence, one with her arms crossed and looking completely beat, so overhearing the conversation on the right was quite inevitable. 

- So, how did your family take it when you came out?

- oh, okay, I guess, I tried to tell my mom that I was bi when I was 12, but she just laughed it off. Later on, she kinda got the picture and she's okay about it now. Oh, wait I'm getting a text from my friend. She's asking me if you're bang-able. ah, ah, ah! Have you done the Pride? I did mine for the first time last summer, it was so much fun, but I got heatstroke and I was with my friend who is super whiny, you know, and she wouldn't stop complaining about how far we had to walk 'cause the buses were too full. What about you? What did your family say when you came out?

-My parents were shocked, but my sister was cool with it, so they were okay with it after a while.
-Well, I've dated boys and girls, but my last 4 girlfriends just drove me crazy, too much drama, you know? So I'm into guys now. When did you become a vegan? Oh, wait my friend is texting me, she wants to know where's a good sushi place in Chilliwack. There's this one place that's pretty good, you know, but not as good as here. Should we get the bill?

The ladies left, the udon arrived. The kid and I happily filled our bellies. The silent, tired ladies on the right perked up when their rolls were served. That's a slice of life on the Drive, no?




No comments:

Post a Comment