Friday, September 14, 2012

Ikea Fabric Frenzy

Okay, so I went to Ikea. And as you might already know from previous posts, I have a love-hate relationship with Ikea; 'cause I don't need what's there, but every once in a while, I think I do. One way I keep my relationship balanced with this store, is I put what I think I need on a 30 day wish list. If I still think I need that "thing", I'll go. I look online first or at the magazine, and take measurements. (The 2013 issue arrived at my doorstep in early September-very scary. Scary like stores that put out Christmas stuff in October). I usually skip the round-about-make-you-dizzy showroom and head straight to the "market" though the unmarked door hidden behind the staircase.

Knowing that I will be tempted to get something other than what's on my list, I have a final little game I play with myself; once I get to the till, I must take at least one item out of the trolley and leave it behind. I especially stay away from coasters, candles, fake greenery, containers of any sort, wine glasses, and any linen or pillow. I will allow myself fabric, hand-towels, and kid's items. It's just not the right place to go to keep things clutter free and minimalist even if it seems they promise this- if only you had the right container.

Anyways, I digress. I do love Ikea fabric. It's reasonably priced, a good quality cotton and has pretty funky designs. I haven't found any pillows, curtains or bed linen made of their fabric, so if you decide to sew something for your house, there's a good chance that your neighbors won't have the exact same thing too. I found heavy cotton canvas to recover our dining room chairs that used to be white (dumb, I know- the photo doesn't show how stained it is) and had enough to make pillows and little cases. I did occur to me, after I finished these projects, that I didn't really need the pillows and the cases, but anyways, it was fun to make.





No comments:

Post a Comment