Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Simple Family Habits

There are some habits I've adopted over the last year that I've still managed to keep. Most of these habits I've stolen from other savy moms I know or from simplicity blogs. Here are some my favorites. I'm always looking for more good ideas, so please share yours!

1. Place 1 spray bottle with a water/vinegar solution and a rag under each sink in your home. I started doing this only about a month ago, and I love it. If I happen to be in the bathroom and notice it could use I wipe, it takes two seconds and presto!
2. Clear and rinse the sink after every meal. I've only started doing this recently, but boy, do I love it! It's like a clear counter, it just makes you want to cook something delicious!
3. Teach everyone to set and clear the table. It's the best way to support the chef in your family.
4. Always pack light. Trust your resourcefulness.
5. When it comes to mind, de-clutter where ever you are for a few minutes at a time.
6. Whether it's your toddler pitching a fit on the sidewalk, or your husband who is clearly not listening or anybody else who is rubbing you the wrong way, look up at the sky, take a deep breath and say to yourself: "This too shall pass." It eases the nerves.
7. Designate Zen Zones in your home: Clutter free surfaces where you can place one single beautiful item to admire like a flower, a stone, a picture frame etc...
8. Go outside every day no matter the weather. Do art, exercise, garden, ride your bike, take out the hose, blow bubbles, dig, read, take pictures, write a letter, eat picnics, fly kites, attend car-free festivals, geo-cache, ride your bike to a city park, or go farther to one of Metro Vancouver's 22 regional parks. (My favorites are Crippen Park on Bowen Island, Iona Beach in Richmond and Barston Island in Surrey.)
9. Give the gift of experience. My friend bought her husband a cooking class at The Dirty Apron, and he's still raving about it. Or if making tortellini from scratch is not what they might like, how about pole dancing or a photography class? (PS. Pole dancing is a great workout and a lot of fun!)
10. Limit your exposure to advertisement as much as you can. Paste a red dot on your mailbox to stop flyers and junkmail. Read books instead of magazines, don't give away your email or your phone number at any store, replace television with a new hobby, and stay our of malls.

Zen Zone Basil



No comments:

Post a Comment