Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Collecting the Grieving Greens

"Mommy sad ", says my 2 year old son to me as I sit on the kitchen floor waiting for beets to cook through. "You're right. Mommy sad. Can I have a hug?"

When I received the sad news this morning that a friend from the past had passed away, a multitude of feelings overtook me. Today, I let these feelings flow by. I notice them, feel them and let them go. I honor my friend by thinking of her and the friendship we had. Time passed and our paths changed directions, but she often popped into my mind and I wondered how she was. And then, I would run into her on the street and we'd chat. We promised to meet, but we never did. But it was okay. I could tell she wished me happiness and I did too.

It's a good day to garden. Being yardless is a good thing for a green gardener like me. My patios are small and contain my grandiose ideas of wild, overgrown, gardens with hidden paths and water fountains. I've started to collect pots, herbs and plants. Advice too. I hope to create a space where I can sit when the weather is more consistently warm to rest my body and my mind. A place to feel the wind and sun while my boy is napping.

It's soothing to nurture nature while thoughts of my friend pass by. She's not fighting anymore. I wish wild overgrown gardens overtake those she left behind, hide them and let them be lulled by water fountains. Let them be at peace too.


No comments:

Post a Comment