Thursday, April 26, 2012

Living Your Values



Puppet show on the drive to Rio de Janeiro
It's been just over 2 years since my son was born and I've been a stay-at-home mom. People ask me all the time when I'll be going back to work, like staying at home couldn't possibly satisfy me completely. The thing is, I'm really good at being a stay-at-home mom. I am infinitely blessed that our slightly tight budget still allows me to take this fabulous unpaid job.  It's by far the most emotionally and physically demanding job I've ever had, but less stressful and free of office politics and mean gossip.  It utilizes many of my strengths and incorporates my values.

Years ago I wrote a list of activities that I enjoyed as my younger self like doing art and making forts. (see list below) Then I wrote out the reasons why I liked doing those activities. Certain words kept popping up, indicating my values.
  • Being creative
  • Being with people
  • Learning and doing something new
  • Fun
  • Adventure
  • Being thrifty 
  • Moving my body and being outside
These values define who I am and have not changed since my childhood. As a stay-at-home mom, I am constantly using my creativity and my sense of fun and adventure to entertain, care, invent, imagine, feed, teach, and love my family. Would I be as happy as a stay-at-home mom is my values were expertise, travel, career advancement, or making money? Maybe, but it seems to me that I'm suited for this job, even if the hours are long. When am I going back to work? What do you mean? I am at work! and it suits me!

If you're interested in rediscovering some of your values, take a look at what I wrote below to get started. If you often have urges to run away to a tropical island to write a book or sell all your belongings to travel the world, it's usually because you're not able to incorporate your values in your life enough. I once had a cubicle job alone in a box with a computer. Every day I would cry all the way to work. 4 months later, I quit. None of my values were being met.

Take a quiet moment and have fun discovering yours!

Childhood

Drawing and Painting, Arts and Crafts:
I like colors.
I can give it away to someone and they are happy.
I made something nice that didn’t exist before.
It looks nice. Sometimes it tells a funny story.
I can be creative. It’s attractive.
I’m away from my own thoughts

Playing with my Barbie:
I make costumes for her out of remnants.
I like to comb her hair in different ways.
I play pretend that she has adventures and she meets Ken.
I can play Barbie with my friends and we invent scenarios together.
It’s creative. It’s playful and fun.

Hanging out with mom:
We cook together
We sew clothes for the summer
We go to Madame Pas Cher and pick out clothes
We sing songs
We have arts and crafts projects and I give them to Jim
We prepare for Holidays together
We go outside and play
It’s fun. We are creative together. There’s a sense of adventure.

Making forts
We use our imagination and build cool towers and tunnels
Making the fort is more interesting than the end product
We invent stories about our fort
We build something new.

Playing Lego
We use our imagination to build cool things
We can take it apart and start over.
Every project turns out different.

Playing games
We can play board games and have fun
We make up our own games and rules and then try out different ways to make the game more fun.
It’s fun. We are creative together.

Camping
We can be outside and enjoy nature
We learn new sports like canoeing and skiing
We can swim and eat yummy food
We sing songs and make a fire
We learn new things
I move my body. I am in nature. I’m learning.

Spending time at my cousins
We have fun building forts
We invent games to play
We swim in the pool and ride our bikes
We are outside and the weather is nice
My aunts and uncles are funny and nice and cook yummy food for us
It’s so much fun. I feel part of a group.

Visiting Grandmaman and Grandpapa
We get to travel
We visit them and they are so nice
We eat food we don’t normally get to eat
Grandmaman lets me help with her cooking
She gives me presents.
She makes me something that she knitted that I can wear.
I like to go in the garage and look at the hand prints on the walls, I’m scared that the floor will fall through. There’s lots of junk up there and it’s like a treasure.
I like the smell of the town and of the house.
During the holidays, the whole family is there and we sing songs, play games and exchange presents. Everybody is happy.
It’s an adventure. I feel loved.

Adolescence
Sewing
I can create something cool
My friends praise my talent
I look different than everybody else
It’s like a puzzle and I can use different fabrics
I feel pretty in what I make
I can do this with a friend and it’s fun
Photography
I can walk around outside and see things in a different way
I can’t tell how anything will come out until I develop it
I like to experiment in the dark room
Ceramics
I like to play with dirt
It’s creative and I have to concentrate to make it look good.
Something useful comes out in the end
I can be creative, it’s visually attractive. It’s useful.

Halloween
I start thinking about it early and think of all the options
I try to think of a cheap and creative way to make a fantastic costume
I like search around for the materials and putting it all together
I can sew, glue, and draw
I get praise from others when I’m done and I feel proud
It’s fun
I can pretend I am someone else

I can be creative, it’s visually attractive. It’s fun.

Travel
I like to go to new places with friends
It’s fun to organize what we will need to make the trip a success
We can be outside
We can meet new people
We can get to know each other better
We can try new things, like food, activities, sports
We can see new things, nature, cities, architecture
I like to go to thrift stores when I’m traveling
I like to plan fun things to do during our travel, like games and contests
I can be with my friends
I can be free of work and just enjoy
I can go camping
Anticipating something new. Looking for something worth the money. Seeing new things every day. Spending time with others.

Playing Sports
I feel good when I exercise
It’s fun to be with friends
It feels good when we win
I like to go different places to play
I like to learn new sports and get better and better at them
Being part of a group. Moving my body. Feeling alive.

Thrift Stores
I never know what I’m going to find
I have an eye for unusual things
I like to buy cool things and have them in my house
I feel good because I got a good deal and I saved something from the dumpster
I think older things are often more interesting than new things
I like to have different things in my home and people come over and look at them and are interested in them
Sense of adventure. Looking for something unique. Reusing. Like a treasure.

Making Gifts for Others
I like to find interesting things to make gifts with
I like to use my sense of design to make something attractive
I like to use paper and fabric
I built pillows, journals, bed spreads, paintings, painted boxes and suitcases
Every project is different
I like to give to others
I like wrapping gifts creatively
Creative, I can use lots of different materials. I like to give away what I make.

Young Adulthood

Traveling
Planning and reading about new places to go
Driving and not knowing what comes around the bend
Seeing beautiful nature
Meeting new people and seeing how they live their life
Eating new food
Learning new things everyday
Relaxing
Having fun trying new things everyday
Telling others about where I’ve been
Sharing the experience with someone else
Planning and keeping track of the budget
Swimming, camping, hiking
Exploring all the options
Sense of adventure
Looking at new people and things. Looking at scenery, architecture. Listening to new sounds and eating new things. Appreciating nature. Feeling free and without stress.

Hosting Parties
Planning ahead of time an interesting theme
Making decorations and costumes
Planning the food and cooking
Drinking and socializing
Preparing games or playing board games
Making people feel comfortable and happy. Entertaining them.

Taking Classes
Learning something new
Meeting new people
Doing something creative, design, writing, projects, presentations
Being resourceful
Sharing my knowledge with others
Learning something new.

Decorating
Going to thrift stores and decorating my house in different ways
Rearranging furniture
Painting
Sewing cushions and curtains
Making art to go on the walls
Having people over to enjoy a nice meal
Going to garage sales to find what I need
Creative. Thrifty. Color. Texture. Mood.
Imagining myself else where

Teaching
Finding ways to make things fun and instructive at the same time
Laughing
Meeting new people and learning new things from them
Developing curriculum
Being in front of people
Performing
Inventing games and ice-breakers
Leading by example
Generating hope
Helping others
Helping others, sense of accomplishment when someone gets it. Fun

Surprising Others
Collecting interesting data about the world to surprise others
Learning a magic trick
Finding interesting products on the market and buying them as a gift
Making homemade gifts for others
Telling funny jokes
Making people feel good. Smile. Using my creativity.















No comments:

Post a Comment