Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rhino Sleeps in a Jar

Last night, after a very sweaty hour at Zumba where my brain was confused because it was telling my arms to move and they stubbornly stayed at my sides as if holding heavy shopping bags, I came home and curled up with 'Simplicity Parenting' by Kim John Payne. In just the first two chapters, there were so many wise bits of information to ponder over. I won't attempt to quote all of the things that stood out for me, but I might mention them as I incorporate them in my family life in no systematic way, but fluidly as days unfold.

I suppose I still had simplicity on my mind as I woke up this morning, and so I set out to find moments in my day that could benefit from a little paring down. More paring down? Yup. If you've been reading posts in the last few months, I've been really trying to minimize the amount of stuff that lives in my house and making a conscious effort to not let things come in. (okay, except for the sewing machine) So yes, more paring down. Author and family counselor, Kim John Payne, invites families to do some serious overhaul of toys and books; to get rid of old, broken, and loud toys. Toys that have too many buttons, that do everything for you or have only one function and don't allow for imagination. So without going all gung-ho on the toys and taking out the garbage bags, I decided to sit with the information in my mind. My mind was primed for simple play....

So today, the kid and I played with a jar and a plastic rhinoceros. We put him to sleep, closed the lid and sang lullabies- all the kid's idea. We put that rhino to sleep a lot, over and over again. It was fun. Later on, I had a urge to pack up dinner and go to the beach.... umm... tempting, but I when I really thought about it, I wasn't in the mood for bringing leftover fish stew to the beach and I also didn't want to come up with another "beachier' meal. So, simple wins again. Fish stew, and blueberries for desert at the diner table, and enough time to take the kid and his push bike up the block. For some reason, I had it in my head that we should go at least a certain distance, you know, to tire him out, but no, I quickly relinquished that idea when it was clear that all  the kid wanted to do is ride his bike around and around a miniature maple tree over and over again.

miniature maple leaves
Oh! And  I sewed a pouch for my very limited amount of make-up.

Zakka Style Pouch


No comments:

Post a Comment