Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Gift of You

My friend Lynn brought me a delightful belated birthday gift: a bottle of wine and a lavender soap. I always appreciate her lovely gifts: homemade treats, magazines, soaps, little toys for the kid. My mom does that too, she always passes on something small and simple; a bad of organic kale from the garden, a book that inspired her, vitamins etc.. It's not always for a special reason, it's just because giving feels good and receiving does too.  I remember and cherish these simple gifts.

(and my sewing machine too, babe!)

So when it comes to giving, I'm going to remember my friend Lynn and think of small consumable, thoughtful gifts. Here are some of my favorites to give and to get for both guys and girls and the little ones too.

1. A nice loaf of bread wrapped in a tea towel.
2. A round of soft cheese like bried with a small jar of jam. (My friend Lisa brought me a lovely pot of lavender jam from a farm in Kelowna...yum, delectable.
3. A bag of organic coffee or tea.
4. Used books and magazines.
5. Herbs or flowers.
6. Anything from the local farmer's market; who doesn't want a giant basket of blueberries?
7. Anything made by a local artist.
8. Homemade postcards/stationary with a booklet of stamps.


Another way to offer a special gift is to offer your talents to those who don't have it. My dad is a wonderful guitar player and singer. On our wedding day, my dad and father-in-law sang a surprise song for us; pretty special considering my father-in-law doesn't speak English and they did most of their practicing over Skype. Oh, you might say; I don't have a talent... but think hard... you'll think of something. Here are some of the talents my friends and family have:

1.  My mom loves to clean and organize kitchen cupboards. Not just a little bit-a lot. She has a zillion other talents that she always shares with others. She's a bottomless pit of giving.

2. My neighbor Marie-Anne is super resourceful. She knows where to find amazing fabric stores, weird remote nurseries and delicious out-of-the-way places to eat.

3. My friend Nisha is a walker. She can walk for up to 8 hours and be completely chipper the entire way. If I need a long walk and good conversation, she's the one to call.

4. My husband makes meat on the BBQ. He rides his bike to a specialty butcher and gets them to cut a piece of the cow only Brazilians seem to know about. Invite him over and you can have yummy meat!

5. I have two friends, Meggie and Christy, who live far away and write me letters. In their own style, they have the quirkiest way of writing about their life; jokes, weird observations, diagrams, stick-people and loving words.

6. My son loves to throw himself on the floor when I'm about to take laundry out of the dryer. He laughs in anticipation waiting for me to throw the warm clothes on top of him. "Where am I? Where am I?" he asks with a giggle. I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment