Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Zakka Style Sewing

Don't you just love the library? You've probably heard me praise libraries before, just think, there are many places in the world where libraries don't even exist! Anyways, here's my latest find: Zakka Style- 24 projects stitched with ease to give, use and enjoy. The Japanese word Zakka loosely means 'many things' or 'miscellaneous goods' as well as a style that is simple, unique and handmade. Simple, unique and handmade? Sounds like something right up my alley! Apparently, I'm not alone in this alley, a quick search on the internet turns up hundreds of pages on Zakka Style sew-alongs (sew-alongs are web-supported groups of people who sew the same project at the same time, help each other and show off) so I was eager to get started.

Here's a photo of my pencil case which I completed in about an hour while the Kid was his crib singing: "Mommy, I don't close my eyes, I don't nap, Mommy."


What's fun about this style is the small amount of patchwork included in the sewing. I'm not much into making quilts and cutting a zillion little pieces of cloth, but with these small projects you can enjoy the combination of leftover fabrics without going bananas. The use of linen also gives the pieces a simple and natural look. I think I might repeat this project again, it was so much fun. Or invent something....

Oh and I finally got my hands on a copy of Simplicity Parenting- Using the extraordinary power of less to raise calmer, happier and more secure kids from the library, so I might have to slow down the artistic challenge so I can read it before the next person on the long, long, waiting list can have it. Gotta find out why so many people want to read this book! More on that later!


No comments:

Post a Comment