Tuesday, July 3, 2012

30 Day Artistic Challenge

Your voice is deep and soothing, I'd love to hear you on the radio.
I envy the way you can dance.
You are an amazing cook.
You always listen to me and I always feel like new after talking to you.

It's easy to pass off a compliment, to brush it off and say, oh it's nothing. I do it all the time. Like it's bad to admit that maybe we do have a talent. What's wrong with having a knack for something or for showing off our unique style? For the sake of modesty, what untapped creativity is being shrugged away?

oh, it's just a hobby.
oh, it will never amount to anything.
oh, I just do it for fun.
It's just something I do when I have the time.

Imagine that by some miracle, we woke up one morning and all we had to do is whatever that talent was. Even if this talent was just a small desire for now. And what would happen if we spent hours and hours on that one talent? In no time we would certainly become experts and our talent would grow and grow.

What if you could be renowned for the salmon that you smoke?
Or the weird stories that you tell?
Or for the obsession you have about food?
Or how you visualize a better city?

We know or we read about people who get to use their talent all day long and we continue to say:

oh, it's just a hobby.
oh, it will never amount to anything.
It won't bring home the bacon.

What if for 30 days, we used our talent every day for as long as we could. What would that look like? I've been told recently that I should write and illustrate a book for children. Thinking about this is too big. Too unknown. So I am proposing a challenge. A 30 day artistic challenge. To be honest, this is a huge challenge for me, and I probably won't post this too soon....but I think one way around being a 3 day monk, is to keep the momentum and to do that you have to gather speed.

Here is today's drawing. I was imagining a place where children can go to find lost things.

Number 1 Lost and Found

No comments:

Post a Comment