Monday, July 9, 2012

Sew Happy!

Okay, okay, I haven't forgotten my art challenge; it's been revived by a brand new sewing machine! Yay! Remember? It's was on my 30 day list of things I want for months and finally on my birthday, it arrived via my loving husband! I've always loved making clothes, even when I was around 4 or 5 years old, I made dresses for my Barbie out of kleenex and remnants of fabrics my mom had kicking around the house. I remember making donuts shapes and slipping my Barbie's legs through the center hole and tying it with tape around her waist to make a skirt.

Over the years, my mom sewed a lot of summer outfits and Halloween costumes for us. She was amazing with the sewing machine and showed me how to use it. In high school I took a sewing class, learned some more advanced skills and made a scary '80s aqua satin bubble skirt. I remember each dress I made, especially a pair of matching ruffled skirts I sewed for my best friend and I for our school dance. I even got her hooked on sewing and she pulled out her mom's machine to make matching penguins costumes for Halloween.

After highschool, I moved out of my mom's house and moved in with friends, but it wasn't long before my boyfriend at the time found me a super retro Swedish sewing machine at a garage sale. It weighed a ton, was noisy like a lawnmower, and worked like a horse. I was back into making things for myself and my new home away from home. I even dragged it across North America and to Mexico because I couldn't part with it, and you never know when you might have to whip up some curtains while a on a road trip right? Sadly, I eventually lost track of this machine somewhere in my travels....

So, now it's come full circle. My son is two and I'm itching to get sewing again. I drove out to Fabricana the first chance I had after my birthday trip to Whistler. Oh, happiness! I didn't even get bummed out by the severe lack of sewing patterns for boys because the printed cotton section was so much fun to sift through!

Like a kid with a new toy on Christmas day, I stayed up too late on my sewing machine and here's my adorable model of a kid in his retro camera pants.




No comments:

Post a Comment