Thursday, November 4, 2010

Active Mom and Baby

As a new mom, it seems that on most days, the walls at home seem to get closer and closer together and by midday I'm itching to get out of the house. I've done some fun activities to beat the "piles of laundry to do, dishes to wash, carpets to vacuum, don't want to play on the floor anymore" blues.

I've done a lot (okay, maybe not a lot) of those painful "burpies" with Fit For Two and their workouts really do get you back into shape. A sport bra with extra support is essential and way better than wearing 2 bras at a time. I found mine at Lady Sport. I purchased one with velcro straps with makes it super easy to access for mid-workout baby milkshakes! ah ah! Working out outside at Kits Beach or Trout Lake, breathing in the fresh air while Baby fools around on my yoga mat beats the smelly gym any day.

Baby and I trained for the 10Km Turkey Trot with Lynn and baby Hannah, by taking long walks around the city. The seawall is so awesome! I also discovered the 19th avenue bike route from Commercial Street to Main Street. Main Street is a good motivator, there's lots of neat coffee shops to stop in for a mid-walk tea. There's no lack of walks and runs in Vancouver, some are stroller friendly, and for those that are not, dad and baby can always cheer you on at the finish line!

Yesterday, I visited Unity Yoga Teahouse and Studio and took my first Mom and Baby Yoga class. It was great! The studio is relaxing and unpretentious and the tea room adjacent to it is great for chatting with other moms. The floor seating was really popular with Baby too!  The instructor, Lou, led us through a series of gentle yoga poses, stretches, and infant massage with the option of incorporating babies to our session. The November sun was shining in, Baby barefoot on my mat banging the floor with his eggbeater and charming the other babies with his smile. What's not to love about doing yoga with wee ones cooing around you?

I'm always open to try something new.... any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Solare...what a small world...Melissa teaches at the Unity Yoga place :) She's the one you met at the water park play date!

    ReplyDelete