Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Getting Ready for the Season

Yesterday I found myself looking online to rent dishes to host a Christmas dinner for 10 people. Rent dishes for a dinner? No, maybe go to Ikea and buy stuff. More Ikea stuff. Am I crazy? Where will these 10 people sit? 6 inside and 4 on the patio? "Whoaaaa les moteurs"- as my mom would say. Pull the horses back, bring the sheep in, chew your carrot sticks.... slow everything down.

I seek simplicity. Abundance of simplicity. I am seeking it even more now that I have an 11 month old during this holiday season. Tonight, the power went out in the neighborhood. I came up from the underground parking and everything was much blacker. Baby and I came in, lit some candles, sat on the couch in our jackets and read stories. It was simple and lovely. Just like the night Baby Jesus was born, in complete simplicity, I will keep this in my mind. I will take time. Today, I started my simple and beautiful season with a small rosemary bush shaped like a Christmas tree. This will do.

Less running around in the stores, more time with friends.
Less line-ups, more walking in the snow.
Less gorging, more tasting.
Less spending, more giving.
Less stressing, more enjoying.

Right. 'tis the season to be jolly, darn it and that's what I'll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment