Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Teaching My Body to Relearn

I've been observing Baby as he has been learning to sit up, balance and move about on the floor and I can't help but admire how straight his spine is and how his head just seems to sit there at the top, perfectly balanced on his thin, little neck. He seems so at ease sitting cross-legged on the carpet, while am sitting next to him feeling sore and uncomfortable. As he's been gaining more and more weight, I've also noticed how my body has been reacting to lifting and supporting him. Every fiber in my body seems to be screaming: "What about me? I need a massage!"

Ohh... how I love massages! But, there's something bitter sweet about getting a professional massage, it feels so good but when its over, you just want more and it just doesn't feel as good when you massage yourself.

And so, if you ask and let go, the universe provides.

Thanks to my friend Nisha who treated me for my birthday, I just had my second Alexander Technique session with Gabriella at the Alexander Technique Centre.  http://www.alexandertechniquecentre.ca/.

Quoting from Gaby's website, "The Alexander Technique is a practical, self-care, educational method for improving awareness, movement and posture. It provides the tools to recognize our habits and patterns of responses so that we can change them. It emphasizes the relationship of the head, neck and back which is fundamental to improved use of the body."

I've come away from these 2 short sessions with more awareness of how my body moves and holds itself, especially when holding and breastfeeding Baby.  It's also really wonderful to do something for me, and have someone guide me toward feeling better. Unlike a massage, it nice to know that I can apply what I learn and it will benefit me over time. I look forward to more learning!!! Thanks Nisha and Gaby.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to read what has stayed with you from our sessions. Yes, your Baby is an amazing Alexander Technique model in the ease with which he lives within his own body. I would like to encourage you to observe him and provide him with the supports to stay with such ease and poise
    gaby

    ReplyDelete