Monday, November 29, 2010

Fun for Worms

I have a confession to make. I use my garburator. I feel bad to see the totally compostable food going down the drain.... but happy that I can take the garbage out with Baby on one arm and not have garbage juice running down my leg. BUT, still, I feel guilty.

The city of Vancouver launched a Residential Food Waste Collection Service this spring.  Why not reduce waste from the landfill for better use? Unfortunately, this service is not available for the folks who live in condos and apartments who are serviced by private waste removal companies. This doesn't really make much sense in a way; my parents live in a private home, collect their food waste in an ice cream container, have their own compost heap and a garden to put it in.  We don't. My garden is the size of a bathtub. Even if I had nifty ice cream container under the sink, where would I put my banana peels at the end of the day? Wouldn't condo and apartment dwellers be the people who would benefit most from this service?

So I found this cool invention by NatureMill. Your very own compost maker! It's about the size of a garbage can and it fits under the sink.

Here's how it works: lift the lid, throw in your coffee grinds and orange peels, forget about it for about a month, then open the drawer at the bottom. That's where you'll find ready-to-go compost for the worms in your garden. Check out the video on the site for the more "techie" version of my description.

That still leaves me with where would I put this lovely compost? um..... Maybe the gardeners could use it?

I will find a way! Stay tuned for the impending solution!





No comments:

Post a Comment