Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trout Lake Ice Rink

Grandma came to babysit on Sunday and my husband and I tried out the Trout Lake Community Center Ice Rink! I forget about skating here in Vancouver mostly because I don't see much ice and my husband, being from Brazil is not one to remind me. After a few encouraging words and making friends with a cone, my husband took a deep breath and shuffled himself along the ice. It was hard to put myself in his shoes since I love skating; the cold air, the speed and the scrunch of the ice, but I could see that it took him some courage to keep a smile on while trying this out for the first time!

Opened in September 2009, this green and sustainable facility hosted the Vancouver Olympic ice skating competition. It is beautifully constructed with an arched wood ceiling with windows which allows natural light in. Apparently, the wood in the lobby and corridor ceilings is Douglas fir milled from trees downed during the 2006 Stanley Park windstorm. Enjoying this rink is definitely an activity worth trying out as a family! You can even bring your stroller onto the ice, as long as baby is wearing a helmet! Cool eh?

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that if it wasn't for my wife's support and patience I wouldn't have done it. At the slightest progress in my ice performance she was cheering as if I had just won the gold medal in ice skating!

    ReplyDelete