Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mommy Touch

It's fairly common knowledge these days that physical touch such as holding and rocking a baby has physiological and emotional benefits. It's been proven that touching increases the baby's heart and gastrointestinal function, and promotes respiration. Also, holding and rocking often helps digestion. Kissing, cuddling, making eye contact and massage are all ways parents bond with their child, letting them know that their needs are being met. But what are the effects of physical touch for mommies?

I ask myself this because the other night, my husband was rubbing my back in bed and all of a sudden tears came gushing out.  I couldn't really say why I was crying, just that a flood of emotions just let loose out of me. What a release! I can say that since the birth of my child last January, I feel like I've been in a never ending aerobics/yoga/weight training/marathon event. The toll of lack of sleep, lugging my wiggling Baby and the emotional roller coaster of adjusting to parenthood seems to have wound itself up in every fiber in my body. Everyday I feel like I need a massage. Everyday I feel like I need 100 hugs.

Wouldn't it be great if MSP could offer a free monthly massage to all moms? (with childcare included of course) Prenatal massage has shown to relieve stress, reduce water retention, muscles and joint pain, and increase circulation. Some studies even show that women who receive regular prenatal massage reduce the probability of suffering from postpartum depression. I don't think any woman would argue that quiet music, a calm atmosphere, and physical touch can ease what is quite possibly the most stressful time of a woman's life. I think I will scrounge around in my Christmas budget and find a way to treat myself to a massage. So, next time you see a mom you know, give her a hug. Take her hand and squeeze it. Rub her shoulders. When you say to her; "Keep in touch!" Mean it and do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment