Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My "Did That" List

Last weekend, my husband was upset about having to do "chores" and even though I pointed out that we had in fact not done any chores for 3 days, it still felt like there were chores out there for us. And the thing is, there are. The "to do" list never ends especially with a kid. Some days I feel like I've never left the kitchen. Other days I feel like I'm stuck in a perpetual laundry nightmare. And those are the just the basic household chores.

95% of the time, the "to do" doesn't bother me. It's life. Things get done, some get postponed, some forgotten, some don't get done. What if I kept track of a "did that" list? To increase my awareness of all the things I do get accomplished, even the little invisible things. So that's the plan for today. Here it is:

1. Read 2 magazine articles in bed before baby woke up!
2. Fed myself and Baby breakfast.
3. Played a scrabble word with my uncle online.
4. Cleaned the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher.
5. Researched baby eggplant recipe for dinner tonight.
6. Put one load of laundry in.
7. Crawled up the stairs behind Baby twice and squeezed his butt.
8. Changed Baby 7 times.
9. Tidied up closet while Baby played with laundry basket.
10. Played with blocks, sang, read books and was a human jungle gym.
11. Cleaned bathroom while entertaining Baby with toys.
12. Rocked and sang made-up lullaby for Baby and put him down for a nap.
13. Drank tea and ate yummy Christmas cookie.
14. Cooked eggplants for dinner while Baby napped.
15. Took a shower. ahhhh! Love the shower.
16. Burned eggplant dinner.
17. Fed myself and Baby lunch and cleaned up the kitchen.
18. Phoned magazine subscription to change our address.
19. Lugged Baby and giant bag of books to the downtown library.
20. Played in the library with Baby, my friend Lynn and her daughter H.
21. Picked out a giant new bag of books for Baby and me.
22. Bought a chai latte for the ride home. Yum.
23. Read new books with Baby and put him down for a nap.
24. Watched t.v. for 20 minutes.
25. Prepared dinner for Baby.
26. Comforted Baby when he woke up with a runny nose.
27. Talked to a friend for a few minutes on the phone.
28. Made plans for a Christmas lunch next weekend.
29. Showed Baby the night lights outside.
30. Kissed and hugged husband when he arrived home.
31. Launched some flying kisses for Baby and my husband while writing this.
32. Ate dosas with my husband. Yum.
33. Cleaned the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher.
34. Lay on the carpet listening to the bedtime stories my husband was reading to Baby.
35. Watched a little t.v.
34. Read a new library book in bed.
35. Kissed husband and snuggled up to him, closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Wow! Look at that. I accomplished a lot on my "did that" list!

1 comment: